Recap: DeFi Week of Aug. 31 🦄
Hello Defiers, hope you’re having a great weekend! Summing up: This past week was all about SushiSwap and meme coins. The SushiSwap saga is turning into the most dramatic moments in DeFi this year. Sushiswap’s stated goal at launch was to capture and migr...
Hello Defiers, hope you’re having a great weekend!
Summing up: This past week was all about SushiSwap and meme coins. The SushiSwap saga is turning into the most dramatic moments in DeFi this year. Sushiswap’s stated goal at launch was to capture and migrate Uniswap’s liquidty into a new protocol which would give liquidity providerds greater upside and particpation thanks to its native SUSHI token. The initial idea was able to rally support from the DeFi community, but that good will has quickly turned after the anonymous developer behind it sold all their SUSHI and gave up control of the platform.
Meanwhile, food-themed meme tokens kept popping, claimign to deliver increasingly impossible yields — we break down how that’s just a mirage. And the token born to make fun of it all, called MEME, is instead delivering actual innovation, beyond just farming a token. We did deep dives on how to use DeFi privately, and how in spite of the recent movement towards fair launches and community-owned tokens , DeFi VCs are stronger than ever. For this week’s interview, we chatted with the anonymous dev behond the latest DeFi fork, Swerve, a spinoff of Curve Finance.
📺 Watch New Video on The Defiant’s YouTube Channel and Subscribe
Check out the just-released video on The Defiant’s YouTube channel. The video was produced in partnership with Robin Schmidt of Harmony Protocol.
That was just one week. Subscribe to get the latest DeFi news and analysis straight to your inbox and you don’t miss a thing. Free-signups get partial content, paid subscribers (only $10/month, $100/year) get everything. Click here to pay with DAI ($70/year).
🙌 Together with Zapper, the ultimate hub for managing DeFi assets & liabilities.
A Chat With John Deere, The Anonymous Dev Behind Swerve, The Latest DeFi Fork
This week’s interview is with the anonymous developer behind Swerve, a fork of Curve Finance. Activity on already popular Curve skyrocketed recently thanks to the launch of its native CRV token. But arguably, that’s when the troubles started, at least for some DeFi users, when an anonymous farmer launched the token without warning. The next incident came when the team gained more than 70% of voting power after locking up their CRV in the protocol, and more recently the controversial addition of a Huobi BTC pool.
This is what John Deere claims Swerve is here to fix. The protocol was unveiled Friday— not without a few hiccups with the UI, which had some calling “pre-mine,” while others attributed to an honest mistake. The issue was fixed and in the two days since launch there’s almost $400M in the protocol’s pool of stablecoins.
- DeFi VCs are Stronger Than Ever: DeFi projects just crossed half a billion dollars raised in venture capital funding. Deep dive into the projects and categories which received the most amount of venture funding, and the most active funds.
- Degens Pioneer NFT Mining With $3M Actual Meme Coin: This is a story of Meme Protocol - a community-conceived project spawned out of a Telegram airdrop that’s since blossomed into a team of highly creative contributors pushing forward the potential for tokenized farming opportunities.
- Yearns’ yETH Vault is a DeFi Liquidity Vortex: Yearn Finance’s yETH vault is sucking up massive amounts of ETH and issuing loads of Dai in return.
- SushiSwap Wants to Accelerate Uniswap Liquidity Drain: The anonymous developer behind SushiSwap, who goes by the name Chef Nomi on Twitter, today proposed to migrate Uniswap liquidity before the initial plan.
- Zug to Accept BTC and ETH for Tax Payments: The Block
- The Mirage of Emojis Delivering Million-Percent Yields: Hotdog, Kimchi, Noodle, and Harvest, all sprung up in the past day or two. But what’s more impressive is this: Some claim to offer annual yields in the seven figures. That’s 1,000,000% APYs.
- Aave Brings Asset-Backed Lending to DeFi: DeFi users will now be able to borrow against tokenized real estate. The new market will allow users to deposit their RealT ERC-20 tokens, which represent ownership over real estate, and borrow stablecoins against them.
- yEarn Launches Permissionless Insurance: yEarn has deployed a KYC-less yInsure product with coverage for Aave, Balancer, Compound, Curve, Synthetix and yEarn.
- Ethereum miners generated all-time high fee revenue of $17 million yesterday: The Block
- Loopring Taps Chainlink Competitor for Price Data: Decrypt
- For All You Degens Farming in Public: Here's Your Privacy Toolbox: While a major improvement from centralized exchanges, all your DeFi transaction history and assets are open for the world to see —they can be even linked to your IP address.
- DeFi Lender Aave Hits $300 Million in Flash Loans: Decrypt
- Coinbase CEO Confirms Development of a Service for Launching Tokens: The Block
- Uniswap Fork is Coming for the DeFi Darling’s Liquidity: A liquidity war is brewing between Uniswap and a fork of DeFi’s darling DEX, called SushiSwap.
- Yearn Launches yETH Vaults: Yearn Finance, the DeFi protocol which allocates digital assets to the platforms which offer the most yield, added an ETH-based strategy.
- bZx Relaunches With Focus on Security: After suffering a critical loss to the tune of $1M back in February, lending and margin protocol bZx is back with vengeance with the relaunch of its products, Torque and Fulcrum this afternoon.
- CoinMarketCap's Leadership Team Resigns: The Block
- Coinbase Shuffles Board Ahead of Rumored IPO: Fortune
Thanking all the amazing Defiers for the support and love this week (and always)!
LL CAPO DI TUTTI I CAPI @LLLuckyLCheck out this video on $MEME by @DefiantNews. You can tell how much effort has gone into this. Absolutely love the video-making. 🔥😂 Let’s get it to thousands views and make sure to share it! youtube.com/watch?v=oDWKrl…
youtube.comThe Greatest MEME Ever ToldThis is The Defiant x Harmony, a weekly series brought to you by Harmony Protocol’s Creative Director, Robin Schmidt, and Camila Russo, the founder of The De...8:05 PM ∙ Sep 4, 202048Likes16Retweets
Simone Conti @simoneconti_I‘m monitoring the VCs activity in #DeFi and it‘s quite interesting how deals become more and more reserved. @polychain, @paraficapital & @a16z among the top active lead investors. I shared my analysis on @DefiantNews, tell me your thoughts about it. https://t.co/lCFELPDmqp
The Defiant @DefiantNews💸 In this new world of fair launches and community-owned tokens, you might think VCs are going out of style in DeFi. The truth is, they're stronger than ever, research by @simoneconti_ finds. Top funds, most funded projects and categories here👇 https://t.co/hyLnLogKVF3:44 PM ∙ Sep 4, 202018Likes3Retweets
Wong Joon Ian @joonianamazing line from @lunar_mining in today's @DefiantNews
Coopahtroopa 🔥_🔥 @CooopahtroopaGave an in-depth recap on the $SUSHI saga in today’s @DefiantNews 🍣 We are seeing new fair launch paradigms being tested before our eyes. Farm or be farmed 👨🍳 thedefiant.substack.com/p/sushiswap-co…
thedefiant.substack.comSushiSwap Comes for Uniswap as DeFi’s Unicorn Flies HighestAlso, Yearn Finance releases yETH vault, bZx relaunches after attack.6:30 PM ∙ Aug 31, 202082Likes14Retweets
Manuel Araoz @maraozTo anyone with FOMO about understanding DeFi and making money with it, read this first! Scams are abundant already. Learn deeply before you invest, or get rekt!
Camila Russo @CamiRussoMeme token factory: 😻pick an emoji 🪙mint token 🦄put token on uniswap 📈degens push up price 🤑UI screams "1,000,000% APY" 🧑🌾farmers fomo in 👋early farmers dump coins 🌾bag holders cry & move to next farm Read 👇 https://t.co/r0o1dIbCxn9:34 PM ∙ Sep 2, 202010Likes1Retweet
Raphael ꙳(Rezo) 🌶️ | ₿R Capital @rezoshm9/17 YAM 🍠 followed by combining community-owned tokens with a ridiculous food meme & to Farm YAM tokens. It failed, now relaunched... >>> Fast forward today, and well, it's still history in making, but i will quote here from my beloved @TheDefiant by @CamiRusso:7:30 PM ∙ Sep 3, 2020
Cem F Dagdelen @CemFDagdelenWondering when we’ll see an integrated privacy solution in the space which allows for the protection of long-tail users as well as cypherpunks. Really enjoyed this @lunar_mining 🌝 https://t.co/tENC9H5Z28
The Defiant @DefiantNews🔥 "Using DeFi is like getting the financial equivalent of a tattoo. And while that $YAM logo on your ass might be fun for a week or two, you might regret it 30 years later." 🕵️ Your Ethereum privacy toolbox by @lunar_mining in today's Defiant. https://t.co/YT50Ta9XBV5:53 AM ∙ Sep 2, 20207Likes1Retweet
Julien Bouteloup @bneilujAwesome post about "How To Use DeFi Anonymously" by @lunar_mining in the @DefiantNews today. "all your transaction history and assets are open for the world to see —they can be even linked to your IP address"
8:00 PM ∙ Sep 1, 202014Likes2Retweets
Simona Pop 🔥 @Sim_Pop🤫 Loving all the privacy focused content today + looking forward to the upcoming privacy round in @gitcoin Grants 7️⃣ @DefiantNews - thedefiant.substack.com/p/for-all-you-… @BanklessHQ @WPMonty bankless.substack.com/p/how-to-keep-…
ΞWoki; Public Goods Maximalist @owockibased on the results of the below thread; well probably do a special: - eth1x - privacy round for round 7 (coming in less than 2 weeks) https://t.co/U8RgPTJZoz7:47 PM ∙ Sep 1, 20206Likes2Retweets
Tamim Sujat @tamimsujatJust subscribed to @DefiantNews. @CamiRusso covers the #DeFi space in the most comprehensive manner.5:14 PM ∙ Sep 1, 20207Likes3Retweets
María Paula @MPtherealMVPSlow clap for this @DefiantNews newsletter explaining Privacy for Degens! If you’re a newcomer - this is the only thing you need to read all week (except Twitter every 1 second to see if something blows up)5:19 PM ∙ Sep 1, 20207Likes2Retweets
Xexr @XexrWell worth a read for a heads up on $Sushi and the coming $YFI yETH vault
The Defiant @DefiantNewsToday'sDefiant: 🍣 @SushiSwap wants to gobble up @UniswapProtocol liquidity ––and with $900M+ locked, it's not that far fetched that it can 💸 @iearnfinance adds yETH vault 🚀 @bZxHQ relaunches after attack Read👇 https://t.co/W9sLiqqHtU10:18 PM ∙ Aug 31, 2020
The Defiant is a daily newsletter focusing on decentralized finance, a new financial system that’s being built on top of open blockchains. The space is evolving at breakneck speed and revolutionizing tech and money. Sign up to learn more and keep up on the latest, most interesting developments. Subscribers get full access at $10/month or $100/year, while free signups get only part of the content.
About the founder: I’m Camila Russo, author of The Infinite Machine, the first book on the history of Ethereum. I was previously at Bloomberg News in New York, Madrid and Buenos Aires covering markets. I’ve extensively covered crypto and finance, and now I’m diving into DeFi, the intersection of the two.