Let the countdown begin…
It’s peak Merge anticipation time, with the historic upgrade to Ethereum expected to commence the evening of Sept. 14, Eastern Time. This week, the network cleared its final hurdle with the rollout of Bellatrix. Sam Haig reported on the implications of the hard fork going live.
Ether has been swinging wildly as investors move in and out of the token. Check out yyctrader’s eye-opening report on how the ETH/BTC ratio hit a nine-month high this week. And Robin Schmidt and his crew produced a must-watch segment on trading Ether ahead of The Merge.
Meantime, Sam Haig continues his groundbreaking coverage of the drama at MakerDAO, one of the stalwarts of DeFi. Sam reports how a surprising proposal from Coinbase has shaken up the Maker community and may derail Rune Christensen’s radical plan for the lender.
Owen Fernau delivers a superb report on how technologists and founders are scrambling to rethink DeFi protocol frontend design to protect privacy from government intervention in the wake of the Tornado Cash case.
And don’t miss our Weekend Read on the debate roiling the NFT market — royalties. Aleksandar Gilbert delved into the push by NFT marketplaces like X2Y2 to attract more sales volume by letting collectors waive royalty fees. That revenue stream, of course, is the lifeblood for creative artists, and many feel the move betrays the spirit of web3.
As ever, give a listen to Camila Russo’s latest podcast: this week she has a scintillating conversation with Stani Kulechov, founder & CEO of Aave, about his new web3 social network project.
⍺ DeFi Alpha Newsletter
DeFi Alpha is a weekly newsletter by The Defiant and DeFi Dad, packed with tutorials and tips on how to earn yield in DeFi. DeFi Alpha is exclusive to paid subscribers.
The open economy is taking over the old one. Subscribe to keep up with this revolution. Click here to pay with DAI (for $100/yr) or sub with fiat by clicking on the button below ($15/mo, $150/yr).
🙌 Together with:
Nexo’s fundamentals-first model helps you secure your assets and grow your wealth. The company now provides an increased insurance on custodial assets of $775 million. Learn More!
ZetaChain is the first public L1 blockchain that natively connects with any chain and layer including Bitcoin and Dogecoin without wrapping or bridging assets. Dive into the docs to start building the future of multichain.
Join Klaytn’s global flagship hackathon and hack your way to over US$1 million in prizes, grant funding, and incubation opportunities. Register now
Thales is your way into OP Summer! Simple, novel, and easy-to-understand markets: UP or DOWN? IN or OUT? The choice is yours. Try it now. No registration needed.
This week on the Defiant Podcast we speak to Stani Kulechov, founder & CEO of Aave, one of the first lending protocols in the DeFi space. He has been around since the inception of DeFi, now Aave Labs is the leading force in this completely new side to the web3 universe; social media.
Lens aims to reimagine how social networks are built, providing an open protocol for applications to flourish, and giving users the freedom to own their information and take that data with them when they move from one app to the next. Creators and influencers would monetize their content by reaching their audiences directly, and applications would gain revenue from these transactions, rather than relying on ads.
We discuss the benefits and the risks of this model. While it provides more choice and should incentivize platforms to provide a better service, is there potential for some users to be priced out of that content behind token-gated paywalls? The norm in web2 is free-to-view content. Are added incentives of decentralization and data control enough of a carrot to justify the added cost? Stani also dives into user stats in the first two months since Lens launched, and discusses what’s next for the protocol.
X2Y2’s Move to Make Royalties Optional Triggers Outcry and Soul-searching in NFT Land
In which Aleksandar Gilbert delves headlong into the debate roiling the NFT community…
On a hot and humid Tuesday night, collectors flocked to a sweltering art gallery in Lower Manhattan. It was their one opportunity to snag a physical copy from Justin Aversano’s “Cognition,” a series of 364 mixed-media pieces the grieving artist created in 2014 after the death of his mother.
Tornado Cash Fallout
Tornado Cash Sanction Prompts User Bans and Backlash
Owen Fernau dives into the privacy rabbit hole to learn how technologists are laboring to protect one of crypto’s most important values.
UNCENSORABLE Crypto was supposed to be unstoppable. But when the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned the privacy-preserving protocol Tornado Cash on Aug. 8, the conception of crypto as an uncensorable financial network came into doubt.
Proposal Could Change Christensen’s Bid to Lessen Reliance on Centralized Revenue
Samuel Haig writes the latest installment in MakerDAO’s push to change its model.
Coinbase has thrown a wrench into MakerDAO’s plans to lessen its reliance on USD Coin collateral, and it may force the DeFi stalwart to change major elements of its strategic growth plan.
crvUSD Is Likely To Launch After Ethereum’s Merge
Owen Fernau reports on Curve’s rather audacious move to bring out a new stablecoin at a time of great scrutiny.
Curve Finance was the epicenter of the stablecoin wars in 2021. Now it’s getting ready to launch its own stablecoin even as the cryptocurrencies have come under intense scrutiny in the wake of Terra’s failure in May and a looming regulatory crackdown.
- With Privacy Under Threat DeFi Community Scrambles to Rethink Frontend Design Crypto was supposed to be unstoppable.
But when the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned the privacy-preserving protocol Tornado Cash on Aug. 8, the conception of crypto as an uncensorable financial network came into doubt.
- U.S. Doubles Down on Crypto Regulations As Industry Pushes Back U.S. policymakers hinted at tightening regulation of digital assets in a flurry of statements and reports Thursday morning.
- Aave DAO Votes To Pay Developers $15M Aave, the largest DeFi lending protocol with over $6B in total value locked (TVL), has voted to give its developers $15M in retroactive pay for their work building Aave V3, the latest iteration of the money market.
- Layer 1 Blockchain Sui Raises $300M At $2B Valuation Mysten Labs, the developer of the Sui layer-1 blockchain, has raised $300 million in a Series B funding round that values the company in excess of $2B.
- Rated Labs Raises $2.5M To Solve Validator Reputation Dilemma Rated Labs, a Web3 infrastructure project, has raised $2.5 million in seed funding from 1confirmation, Semantic, Placeholder and other prominent investors.
👀 Defiant Premium Story for Paid Subscribers
- What Is USDC? USD Coin (USDC) is a stablecoin vying for market supremacy with Tether, the No. 1 such offering in terms of market capitalization.
👀 Defiant Premium Story for Paid Subscribers (📜Scroll to the end!)
- What Is Solana? As Ethereum cultivated its ecosystem of decentralized applications (dApps) in recent years, Solana popped up on the blockchain scene and became one of its top challengers.
- Coinbase Surprises MakerDAO with Pitch to Load Up on USDC Coinbase has thrown a wrench into MakerDAO’s plans to lessen its reliance on USD Coin collateral, and it may force the DeFi stalwart to change major elements of its strategic growth plan.
- Curve Releases Interface Code For Stablecoin Curve Finance was the epicenter of the stablecoin wars in 2021. Now it’s getting ready to launch its own stablecoin even as the cryptocurrencies have come under intense scrutiny in the wake of Terra’s failure in May and a looming regulatory crackdown.
- Bellatrix Euphoria Short-Lived as Markets Slide For a second there, Layer 1s were pumping like it was 2021. Smart contract platforms, also known as Layer 1s, started the week with a bang as Ethereum’s ETH, Solana’s SOL, Avalanche’s AVAX and others were all up more than 3% as of midday New York time.
- What Is SushiSwap? SushiSwap is Uniswap’s jealous twin. After Uniswap pioneered decentralized exchanges (DEXs), it triggered a DEX race. SushiSwap was one of those race contestants.
👀 Defiant Premium Story for Paid Subscribers (📜Scroll to the end!)
Thanking all the amazing Defiers for the support and love this week (and always)!
Hiring Data Engineer at The Defiant for @defiantnews The Defiant
⭐ Featured Opportunity
Apply ↓ or tag a fren:https://t.co/J2aSx9O4Nm
— Crypto Jobs List — Solidity Web3 DeFi NFT jobs (@CryptoJobsList) September 2, 2022
🧑💻 ✍️ Stories in The Defiant are written by Owen Fernau, Aleksandar Gilbert, Samuel Haig, and yyctrader, and edited by Edward Robinson, yyctrader and Camila Russo. Videos were produced by Robin Schmidt and Alp Gasimov. Podcast was led by Camila, edited by Alp.
Free subscribers to the newsletter get:
- Daily news briefings
- Sunday Weekly recap
- General chat on The Defiant’s Discord server
👑Prime defiers get:
- Full transcript of exclusive podcast interviews
- DeFi Alpha weekly newsletter on how to put your money to work in DeFi by yyctrader and DeFi Dad
- Weekly live DeFi Alpha call with yyctrader
- Inbox Dump edition of The Defiant newsletter every Saturday with all the PR that didn’t make it to our content channels
- Exclusive community calls with the team
- Subscriber-only chats on The Defiant Discord server
- Full access to The Defiant’s content archive
Click here to pay with DAI (for $100/yr) or sub with fiat by clicking on the button below ($15/mo, $150/yr).
You can start a prime membership for free right now with this link. You’ll get full access for 7 days. It’s 100% risk-free.