Recap: DeFi Week of Nov. 16 🦄
Hello Defiers! Hope you’re having a great weekend. Summing up: In the past several days DeFi has been hit with one flash-loan driven attack after another. We dove into the main ones that happened just in the past week, draining about $16M from DeFi protoc...
Hello Defiers! Hope you’re having a great weekend.
Summing up: In the past several days DeFi has been hit with one flash-loan driven attack after another. We dove into the main ones that happened just in the past week, draining about $16M from DeFi protocols, and also explained the mechanism and main questions they bring up in a video. The crypto rally continued gaining steam with Bitcoin’s market cap touching an all-time high, while ETH crossed $500 for the first time since 2018; but the bull market has been relatively quiet so far.
Uniswap UNI rewards ended this week; IntoTheBlock looked at on-chain metrics to analyze the impact, while governance may seek to extend rewards. Aave token holders put forward two new governance proposals, and investors in the DPI DeFi tokens index were able to participate. In this week’s podcast episode, we spoke with Illia Polosukhin, cofounder of the Near Protocol and Fernando Martinelli, co-founder and CEO of Balancer Labs, who agreed ETH would likely flip BTC in the coming years.
That was just one week. Subscribe to get the latest DeFi news and analysis straight to your inbox and you don’t miss a thing. Free-signups get partial content, paid subscribers get everything. Click here to pay with DAI (for $100/yr) or sub with fiat by clicking on the button below ($10/mo, $100/yr).
🙌 Together with Zerion, a simple interface to access and use decentralized finance, and 1inch.exchange v2, which aims to provide the best rates by discovering the most efficient swapping routes across all leading DEXes.
"I Do Believe Ethereum Will Flip Bitcoin in the Next Four Years:” Balancer's Fernando Martinelli
In this week’s episode, I speak with Illia Polosukhin, cofounder of the Near Protocol and Fernando Martinelli, co-founder and CEO of Balancer Labs. Near is one of the up and coming Layer 1 chains, Balancer is a prominent DeFi protocol and application on Ethereum that will now also be on Near and other blockchains. As for Near being labeled an “Ethereum Killer” Illia says Near is “not trying to kill anybody.”
He thinks finance is just a stepping stone for all the use cases enabled by blockchains and that Near can be the place where those consumer apps are built. Fernando says DeFi will live on many different Layer 1s, but he sees the space expanding into less than 10, not hundreds of chains. He remains very bullish on Ethereum and is betting on a flippening with Bitcoin in the near future, which Illia agreed would be “totally possible.”
🎙Listen to the interview in this week’s podcast episode here:
Flash Loans and Attacks Explained
After five attacks and millions of dollars lost, this week we're diving into the mechanism behind what made this possible: flash loans. Some call them attacks other go as far as to call it art. But other important questions remain. One of them: Why do we keep seeing audited protocols in the victims’ list?
- ETH Crossed $500 in a Most Quiet Rally: We are in the middle of a crypto bull market but you wouldn’t know it from social media trends, news headlines and anchors, and just all-around hype. The gap between BTC and ETH prices and mainstream interest, measured by Google search, is at the widest ever in a run-up.
- Uniswap LPs Prove to be Fickle as UNI Holders Stick Around: IntoTheBlock reports on the on-chain impact of the end of Uniswap’s UNI mining
- Ethereum OG Whales Are Biggest Stakers in Eth2 Deposit Contract: There is now 20% of the required staked ETH needed for the network to launch its proof-of-stake-chain, the first step in its transition to Ethereum 2.0, and a big chunk of it is coming from long-time ETH whales.
- Aave Governance Picks up Steam Ahead of Upgrade: Aave yesterday posted two new governance proposals for its lending protocol, the fourth largest in DeFi with more than $1.3B in deposits, one of which may lead to an increased pool of assets to be managed by token holders.
- DeFi Index Investors Can Now Vote in Governance Too: The DeFi Pulse Index (DPI) treasury is being put to work through the release of Index Co-op’s Meta Governance structure.
- Vietnamese Dong Stablecoin Launches Today: VNDC.io, one of Vietnam's largest cryptocurrency exchanges, is launching a stablecoin that’s pegged to the Vietnamese Dong (VND) today.
- Grammy-Nominated Rapper Lil Yachty to Launch Eth Token: Decrypt
- Top Ethereum Dapps Now Have Over 1M Daily Active Users: DappRadar
- Uniswap Liquidity Plunges After UNI Rewards End: Uniswap’s total liquidity has almost halved after the decentralized exchange ended its token rewards program on Monday afternoon.
- Attackers Drain $16M+ From DeFi Protocols in One Week: Hackers were able to drain $16.4 million in ETH and Dai from DeFi projects Akropolis, Value DeFi Protocol, and Origin Protocol using flash loans, just in the past week.
- Bitcoin Market Cap Climbs to Record High: Bitcoin’s market capitalization is at a record, crossing $330B for the first time ever, according to CoinGecko.
Thanking all the amazing Defiers for the support and love this week (and always)!
Alex Masmej @AlexMasmejI attribute much of my “wide-ranging knowledge” in crypto to: - @DefiantNews - @evan_van_ness WIE - @ethhub_io This is all free. In this industry, the newsletter reporting is so good you can be an expert for free, if you read long enough.10:56 PM ∙ Nov 15, 202032Likes5Retweets
Nico 🛹 @nicoglennon@AlexMasmej @DefiantNews @evan_van_ness @ethhub_io .@DefiantNews is next level10:59 PM ∙ Nov 15, 2020
Michael Otis @OHHHtisGoing to start posting my top @YouTube channels or Podcasts that I tend to watch/listen to on a daily/sub-daily basis: @DefiantNews & @DirSchmidt @BiggerPockets @dad_verb @scottmelker @VoskCoin @crypt0snews @Timcast @HotepJesus & @CryptoWendyO5:33 AM ∙ Nov 22, 20208Likes3Retweets
Zima Red @zima_red5) Lastly we look at the genius @DirSchmidt who makes the YouTube videos for the @DefiantNews
youtube.comThe Defiant guide to Digital Art and NFTsFollowing the great DeFi summer many have been predicting NFTs to be the tricky second album. This is a monumentally large subject with competing viewpoints ...2:31 PM ∙ Nov 22, 20207Likes2Retweets
ROBNΞSS @robnessofficialHACKERS ARE ARTISTS. BRAND NEW @DefiantNews youtu.be/0Q1_95J10XI #nft #cryptoart #ethereum
youtu.beFlash Loans, and Attacks -- explainedAfter five attacks and millions of dollars lost due to an exploit, this week we’re diving deep into the mechanism behind what made this possible: Flash Loans...2:21 PM ∙ Nov 21, 20207Likes1Retweet
DeFi Dad ⟠ defidad.eth 👁⚡️👁 @DeFi_Dad🤷♂️I don’t claim to have all the answers. 👊 But I do stay hungry to learn more and try more apps. 👇If you want to learn #DeFi, here’s some helpful resources: Defidad.com tv.zapper.fi @DefiantNews @BanklessHQ @ethhub_io @PodcastDelphi @Delphi_Digital
tv.zapper.fiZapperZapper is your DeFi hub to track your DeFi portfolio by just connecting your Ethereum wallet. You can instantly see a snapshot of your assets, liabilities, y...12:54 PM ∙ Nov 21, 2020
CryptoAtlas @cryptoatlas_ioFEATURED PRODUCT this week 🚀 Meet @DefiantNews, one of the leading websites for all things DeFi - founded by @CamiRusso - always educating on the relationship between blockchain and traditional finance. Find out more here: ➡️cryptoatlas.io/products/the-d…
3:30 PM ∙ Nov 16, 20207Likes1Retweet
Ian LeViness (Expatcrypto3) @ExpatCrypto31. That there needs to be more out there but it looks like for #DeFi @DefiantNews is doing good work
Marc Zeller @lemiscateWe have a lot of "advanced" resources on #DeFi, but if you had to point stuff to someone starting crypto with DeFi what would be your recommendations?2:18 PM ∙ Nov 18, 2020
Luc Doucet @lgDoucetMore charts like this pls!! Incredibly helpful and informative for relative newbies (like me). Like an archeological dig into #NFT #DeFi @DappRadar @dragos_dydy @DefiantNews
5:07 PM ∙ Nov 16, 20209Likes1Retweet
ROM @blockhiveio@CamiRusso @DefiantNews @cryptoatlas_io Hey girl! The Defiant is my go-to source for all Defi related news!😘4:13 PM ∙ Nov 16, 2020
The Defiant is a daily newsletter focusing on decentralized finance, a new financial system that’s being built on top of open blockchains. The space is evolving at breakneck speed and revolutionizing tech and money. Sign up to learn more and keep up on the latest, most interesting developments. Subscribers get full access at $10/month or $100/year, while free signups get only part of the content.
About the founder and editor: Camila Russo is the author of The Infinite Machine, the first book on the history of Ethereum, and was previously a Bloomberg News markets reporter based in New York, Madrid and Buenos Aires. She has extensively covered crypto and finance, and now is diving into DeFi, the intersection of the two.