Recap: DeFi Week of June 22 🦄
Hello Defiers! Hope you’re having a great weekend. Summing up this past week: Yield farming continues to be the biggest trend in DeFi, and while gaining interest from lending tokens isn’t new in the space, additional token incentives is supercharging the ...
Hello Defiers! Hope you’re having a great weekend.
Summing up this past week: Yield farming continues to be the biggest trend in DeFi, and while gaining interest from lending tokens isn’t new in the space, additional token incentives is supercharging the practice. Last week the trend blew up with the listing of COMP, this week DeFi teams launched more strategies for farmers, including with Balancer’s BAL, mStable, Ampleforth and ERC20 Bitcoin tokens. We spoke with some of the most active DeFi investors to get their tips for a profitable harvest.
Yield farming can be risky as some traders are taking on leverage to increase their token rewards. To reduce some of that risk, Opyn released put options to protect against a decline in the price of COMP, while UMA launched a token for traders to short it. In non-yield farming news, Lending platform DMM raised $6.5M in less than two days —the lending platform lists Coinbase as a partner in its website, but the exchange told The Defiant it’s not aware of any partnership. This week’s interview is with Ampleforth CTO Brandon Iles on how the project is rethinking money, and Adam Blumberg from Iteraxis wrote an op-ed on the new kind of advisor that is being bred in DeFi; the financial architect.
💗 💗 THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to The Defiant’s Gitcoin Grant. Please consider supporting quality DeFi-focused journalism as we continue building the media company the new financial system deserves. Funds raised in this round will be used to continue supporting the amazing contributors writing for The Defiant, and to build a highly-requested data dashboard to track DeFi usage. Magical matching means that even 1 Dai makes a big difference.
That was just one week. Subscribe to get the latest DeFi news and analysis straight to your inbox and you don’t miss a thing. Free-signups get partial content, paid subscribers (only $10/month, $100/year) get everything. Click here to pay with DAI ($70/year).
🙌 Together with Quantstamp, a leading blockchain security firm keeping your money legos safe, Kyber Network, the on-chain liquidity protocol for the tokenized world, and Keycard, the secure, contactless hardwallet & open source API.
DeFi is Breeding Financial Architects Who Can Hack Yield to Rival Any Hedge Fund
Adam Blumberg has been a financial planner for a decade, advising on how to best allocate investments for the relatively risk-averse crowd of Houston, Texas, where he is based. His firm Interaxis has been producing educational videos on the space for the past 10 months. In today’s column, Blumberg discusses how decentralized finance affects his own profession, investment management. He describes how DeFi’s transparency, composability and trustlessness radically impacts asset management, and predicts a new kind of advisor is being bred; the financial architect. They are based anywhere and don’t require special degrees or experience other than the ability to piece money legos together and extract the most profit for their clients.
"All the Dizzying Ways People are Farming Yield is Proof of DeFi Composability's Success:" Ampleforth CTO
Brandon Iles, the CTO of Ampleforth. Brandon is a former Google and Uber software engineer, and built his first crypto app together with Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong. Today, he’s trying to rebuild the way money works. For its huge ambitions, Ampleforth is a relatively little-known project. It wants to create an entirely new category of monetary assets. The end result is a token that trades at close to $1, the 2019 US dollar, to be precise, but Ampleforth doesn’t like to be called a stablecoin —read on to find out why. We also talked about the project’s recent liquidity mining program called Geyser, where traders can earn AMPL by supplying liquidity on Uniswap, and how for Brandon, the dizzying activity around these schemes is proof of DeFi’s success.
🎙Listen to the interview in this week’s podcast episode here:
- You Can Now Short $COMP: UMA released synthetic COMP token yCOMP on mainnet today, which enables traders to permissionlessly short Compound’s token.
- Opyn Releases Put Options to Hedge Against COMP Volatility: Decentralized options platform Opyn created put options for Compound’s governance token. Traders can now buy oTokens, which provide the option to sell COMP at $150 on July 3, no matter what the market price is.
- mStable is Latest to Join DeFi’s Liquidity Wars: Stablecoin aggregator mStable is the latest DeFi project to use its native governance token to incentivize liquidity.
- Coinbase "Not Aware" of Partnership With Tim Draper-Backed Project DMM: “The company is not aware of any partnership with DMM,” a Coinbase spokesperson said in an email. The DeFi project lists Coinbase as a partner on its website.
- Art Can Save Crypto From Itself: What if blockchain development has come to a stage where it can attract a whole new slice of society? This new group is creators. Signe Pierce, the artist behind Foundation’s latest drop, explains why she’s tokenizing her work.
- High Block Gas Limits Doesn’t Mean Lower Transaction Prices: As yield farming takes DeFi by storm, Ethereum miners are testing a new way to increase transaction throughput, but that won’t necessarily mean transacting on Ethereum is getting any cheaper.
- Yield Farmers Have Found Their Next Crop —BAL: Three weeks ago, Balancer started its liquidity mining program, allocating 145k BAL governance tokens to LPs each week. Yesterday, those first three weeks of crops were harvested as 435k BAL was distributed to over 1k honest workers.
- Ampleforth Launches Geyser Liquidity Mining Program: Ampleforth yesterday started distributing its token AMPL to users who provide liquidity to the ETH/AMPL pool on Uniswap V2, and then stake their Uniswap LP tokens in Ampleforth’s interface for the program, called Geyser.
- BTC Joins Yield-Farming Frenzy: DeFi Yield Farming is pushing composability to its limits. Synthetix, Curve and Ren have teamed up to launch BTC liquidity incentives using Curve’s low-slippage pools.
- Tim Draper-Backed DMM Sale Spurs Disgruntled Buyers: Lending platform DeFi Money Market, or DMM, raised $6.5 million in less than two days by listing its DMG token on decentralized exchanges. But now alleged buyers are complaining online about glitches with the sale.
- Status App Integrates With Keycard Hardware Wallet: Blockchain infrastructure builder Status Network updated its Status App, a mobile messaging app, crypto wallet, and Web3 browser to integrate the application with Keycard, an open-source hardware wallet.
- Opyn Raises $2.16M in Round Led by Dragonfly: Decentralized options platform Opyn raised $2.16M in financing round led by Haseeb Qureshi and Tom Schmidt at Dragonfly Capital.
Top DeFi Yield Farmers Share Secrets to a Profitable Harvest: Yield farmers are earning as much as 100% APR on popular stablecoins on a good day in the field. We asked top Yield Farmers about their strategies and key takeaways.
How to Protect Against $COMP Mining Risks: DeFi Dad produces a video tutorial to help ensure the average DeFi newbie doesn't get liquidated using leverage in this experiment.
PayPal, Venmo Said to Roll Out Crypto Buying and Selling: CoinDesk
Thanking all the amazing Defiers for the support and love this week (and always)!
Interaxis @Interaxis8Such an honor to be able to contribute to @DefiantNews. Thank you @CamiRusso for the opportunity. The idea of the Financial Architect has been fascinating to us. Hope everyone enjoys. Videos to come this week.
The Defiant @DefiantNewsDeFi is producing a new breed of financial managers: Yield hackers who snap money legos together to rival any hedge fund & offer their services to anyone in the world. They are: Financial Architects. 🔥 column by @Interaxis8 co founder Adam Blumberg https://t.co/lgoUU7jqkH7:30 PM ∙ Jun 22, 202016Likes4Retweets
Claudio Borquez #Bitcoin @DWorc@ihatecodee Try to learn defi I got hook after watching @JWilliamsFstmed and @CamiRusso9:36 PM ∙ Jun 22, 2020
Alfredo B Roisenzvit @aroisenzvitGran Charla de @CamiRusso explicando Defi a @JWilliamsFstmed (bitcoiner puro). Un bonus para #defilatam @Mariandipietra en el minuto 4 habla de #poap youtu.be/TPx1iRfLQR4
Jason Williams 🔴 @JWilliamsFstmedCheck out https://t.co/Go0mllps8Q for more fire 🔥 from @CamiRusso https://t.co/EDkg6IR42k2:53 AM ∙ Jun 23, 2020
찌 G 跻 じ ⚡️ 🔑 @DegenSpartani had a small contribution in the latest edition of @DefiantNews im a big fan of the @CurveFinance x @synthetix_io $sUSD curve pool the yield in $SNX has been fantastic and i view the risks as being on the lower end of the spectrum definitely a more "passive" farming strategy
The Defiant @DefiantNews🧑🌾In today's Defiant, top Yield Farmers share their secrets for a profitable harvest "I'm seeing opportunities that range from a few points of APY to over 100% or even several hundred percent APY" Plus, how to protect against risks in the field Here👇 https://t.co/PbYH7YXlPO4:08 PM ∙ Jun 23, 202044Likes8Retweets
DeFi Dad - FIND ME ON GITCOIN GRANTS ROUND 6! @DeFi_DadIf you’re an #ETH whale, how does one not donate to these @gitcoin grants? @DefiantNews @BanklessHQ @ethhub_io @defiprime @evan_van_ness @DeFipedia These are resources / marketing teams helping the 🌏 understand the value of #Ethereum and ETH. gitcoin.co/grants/media?
gitcoin.co(💰$175K Match LIVE!) Community Grants❇️ LIVE NOW! Up to $175k Matching Funding on Gitcoin Grants4:54 PM ∙ Jun 25, 202033Likes6Retweets
Meeseeking @meeseekingI just re-upped on past @gitcoin grant contributions en masse! Want to copy my "Oldies but Goodies" contribution trail? I put $5500 into these 30 grants on @gitcoin => gitcoin.co/grants/cart/bu… #Ethereum #publicgoods
gitcoin.co30 Grants in Shared Cart by eeks : Viewed 243 timesClick to Add All to Cart: Ethereum.cn, Synthereum: synthetic assets with liquidity pools to bridge traditional and digital finance, The Defiant, DeFi Pulse Registry, POAP (Proof of Attendance Protocol), White Hat Hacking, DefiSnap - Dashboard for DeFi, Dune Analytics, CryptoScamDB, WalletConnect, Ba…2:26 PM ∙ Jun 25, 202028Likes6Retweets
Marina Spindler @MarinaSpindler@CoinCornerMolly @CoinCornerDanny @CamiRusso and @DeFi_Dad have good material on it
thedefiant.substack.comTop DeFi Yield Farmers Share Secrets to a Profitable HarvestAlso, how to protect against yield farming risks, and shorting COMP.12:38 PM ∙ Jun 26, 2020
ScaleUp @ScaleWeb3I just funded these 11 grants on @gitcoin => gitcoin.co/grants/cart/bu… Thanks for the amazing work you are doing @owocki @tokengineering @RyanSAdams @DeFi_Dad @DefiantNews @sassal0x
gitcoin.co11 Grants in Shared Cart by jrmr92 : Viewed 91 timesClick to Add All to Cart: Gitcoin Grants Round 7+ Dev Fund, Zero Knowledge Podcast, White Hat Hacking, EthHub - Ethereum Information Hub, Bankless, The Defiant, DeFi Dad DeFi Tutorials on YouTube and Twitter, DeFi Pulse Registry, Commons Simulator: Modeling Sustainable Funding for Public Goods, Ethe…9:38 AM ∙ Jun 26, 202012Likes2Retweets
willsputra @willsputraLet's conga! I just funded @ethhub_io @evan_van_ness @BanklessHQ @DeFi_Dad @DefiantNews for the super valuable education and insights to #Ethereum! gitcoin.co/grants/cart/bu…
ΞWoki, Quadratic Funding's Hype Man 🦄🌈📣 @owockiGrants Conga Line 💃🕺💃🕺💃🕺💃 RT or @ reply this tweet with a grant cart you recently checked out. I just funded @RadxChange @DemocracyEarth & other digital democracy projects! Lets see how long this *public goods* conga line can get! 💃🕺💃🕺💃🕺💃 https://t.co/kssRLj78bF3:46 PM ∙ Jun 26, 202017Likes3Retweets
The Defiant is a daily newsletter focusing on decentralized finance, a new financial system that’s being built on top of open blockchains. The space is evolving at breakneck speed and revolutionizing tech and money. Sign up to learn more and keep up on the latest, most interesting developments. Subscribers get full access at $10/month or $100/year, while free signups get only part of the content.
Click here to pay with DAI.There’s a limited amount of OG Memberships at 70 Dai per annual subscription ($100/yr normal price).
About the founder: I’m Camila Russo, a financial journalist writing a book on Ethereum with Harper Collins. (Pre-order The Infinite Machine here). I was previously at Bloomberg News in New York, Madrid and Buenos Aires covering markets. I’ve extensively covered crypto and finance, and now I’m diving into DeFi, the intersection of the two.