🦄 Recap: DeFi Week of Feb. 15
Hello Defiers! Hope you’re having a great weekend. Summing up: The week started out with yet another hack in DeFi, this time the exploit used Alpha Finance’s unpublished contracts to drain $37M+ from CREAM (no users’ funds were lost). If you want to hear ...
Hello Defiers! Hope you’re having a great weekend.
Summing up: The week started out with yet another hack in DeFi, this time the exploit used Alpha Finance’s unpublished contracts to drain $37M+ from CREAM (no users’ funds were lost). If you want to hear the complex attack sung to you in R&B tunes, watch our video on the ordeal. Speaking of security, ArmorFi CTO is offering $320k of his own funds to whoever catches a critical bug in any Ethereum dapp.
The crypto market continues to heat up with some notable effects in DeFi: Uniswap has now processed $100B of volume, while its $SOCKS tokens (redeemable for real socks) have surged to more than $80k. Meanwhile, MakerDAO is on track to generate more than $70M in annual fees, and with hype driving much of the market, we dove into meme-nomics of Dogecoin. In digital collectibles craziness, someone bought a CryptoPunk for $1.2M and a Beeple NFT will be auctioned by Christie’s.
In notable dapp developments, HiFi is the latest fixed-rate lending protocol, Vesper’s automated investment platform came out of beta, private AMM SecretSwap is live on mainnet, Bitwise launched its Decentralized Finance Crypto Index Fund.
We interviewed partner at the DeFi Alliance and former head of product at Messari Qiao Wang on this week’s podcast, who talked about his favorite tokens and made a price prediction for the top of this bull run. Blake Ho of Furucumbo wrote an opinion piece on how to avoid pumps & dumps in token offerings.
And there was more! There’s a lot going on, but we’ve got you covered :)
Subscribe to get the latest DeFi news and analysis straight to your inbox and you don’t miss a thing. Free-signups get partial content, paid subscribers get everything. Click here to pay with DAI (for $100/yr) or click on the button below to subscribe with fiat ($100/yr, $10/mo).
🙌 Together with:
- Zerion, a simple interface to access and use decentralized finance
- Ledger, a hardware wallet combined with the Ledger application to securely buy, sell, exchange, stake, lend & manage your crypto
- Kraken, consistently rated the best and most secure cryptocurrency exchange, which can get you from fiat to DeFi
- Casper, an enterprise-focused blockchain which aims to introduce unprecedented security, speed and scale for businesses
📺 Defiant Weekly: You Stole $37M, Now What?
📺 Tuesday Tutorial: How to Yield Farm
📺 Quick Take: What is EIP-1559
"We Haven't Seen Anything Yet, So Hold Your Long-Term Bag:" Qiao Wang
In this week’s podcast episode, we speak with long-time crypto investor Qiao Wang. Wang is a partner at the DeFi Alliance and former head of product at Messari. Unlike many Bitcoiners who get into crypto because of their ideological views, or Ethereans attracted by the possibility of building decentralized apps, Wang had been a quant trader for 10 years when he first learned about Bitcoin, and it was the asset’s volatility and potential upside what drew him in. Years later, he’s still actively trading.
We talk about his portfolio and which coins look the most promising. He looks at all sorts of metrics to come to his trading conclusions. In the end though, he says, the market is purely driven by memes and Twitter influencers. About the current bull market, Wang says he’s 90% confident prices will go a lot higher. And while he doesn’t like to give price estimates, he still told me what he thinks the top for BTC and ETH will be for this cycle.
🎙Listen to the interview in this week’s podcast episode here:
📺 Or watch here:
"How to Avoid Pumps & Dumps in Your Token Offering," By Furucumbo's Blake Ho
The cryptocurrency space has provided investors and entrepreneurs a range of fundraising options. The first of these more decentralized fundraising mechanisms was the initial coin offerings (ICO). The open nature of ICOs led to scams and manipulation, so the more controlled and centralized initial exchange offering (IEO) followed. DeFi is enabling a new kind of fundraising, the initial DEX offering (IDO). IDOs are as decentralized in nature as ICOs, but they’re done through decentralized exchanges —most commonly through Uniswap— instantly providing a market for the new token.
This column dives into a lesser-known type of IDO, which is being pioneered by Balancer Labs through its Liquidity Bootstrapping Pools. Blake Ho of Furucombo, a platform which provides a drag-and-drop interface for DeFi traders, dives into her project’s experience with fundraising via LBPs. She believes this fundraising mechanism enabled a more stable price for the COMBO token when it was first issued, and helped the DeFi aggregator, raise over $4.5M in just 48 hours.
- Cypherpunk Stablecoin RAI is Live on Ethereum: Rai, a stablecoin for decentralization purists, is now live on the Ethereum mainnet. It’s not pegged to fiat, it’s not backed by fiat, and it’s designed to run completely by computer programs. If it had a physical bill it would carry the inscription, “in code we trust.”
- Ethereum OG Raises $18M With First Reversible ICO: LUKSO’s Reversible ICO has ended with nearly $18M USD collected. The Reversible ICO (rICO)—the latest brainchild from Ethereum dapp developer and ERC 20 creator Fabian Vogelsteller—is a new model for ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings used to fundraise for start-ups) where investors reserve tokens instead of buying them outright.
- DeFi Dev Offers $320k to Whoever Finds Critical Bug: ArmorFi’s CTO Robert Forster is partnering with bug bounty platform Immunefi to personally offer the equivalent of $320k to anyone who can find a critical smart contract bug in any Ethereum ecosystem project.
- Billions of Users Can Now Access .Crypto Domains: Cloudflare, the internet infrastructure provider, now supports Unstoppable Domains’s .crypto domain name resolution. This will allow billions of users to access web content hosted on decentralized storage like IPFS and routed using blockchain-based domains.
- The Graph Broadens Layer 1 Blockchain Support
- Someone Just Bought a CryptoPunk for $1.2M
- Private AMM SecretSwap is Live on Mainnet
- Blockchain.com Raises $120M in Funding Round: Cointelegraph
- Pods Raised $800k in Seed Round
- $SOCKS is Worth $85k. That’s it. That’s the Headline: Right now, one single $SOCKS token (redeemable for one real pair of Unisocks, which are cotton socks with printed Unisocks branding) will set you back $85k. That’s down from the Feb. 16’s previous high of nearly $93k.
- MakerDAO is Piling on Fees: MakerDAO backend and oracles engineer Nik Kunkel tweeted that if the current market conditions remain stable, the protocol would generate ~$71M in annual stability fees. Stability fees paid by Maker borrowers (similar to borrowing costs), are then burned by the protocol, indirectly benefiting MKR holders by reducing the token supply.
- The Meme-enomics of Dogecoin: Another week, another wild, Elon Musk-tweet driven, Dogecoin gyration. The latest one has chart arrows pointing down. But beyond what’s behind the most recent swing, let’s look at what’s driving the whole pendulum: hype.
- Vesper Comes Out of Beta With VSP Token: Vesper, a DeFi investment platform, came out of beta and launched its VSP governance token.
- Fixed-Rate Lending Protocol HiFi Launches: The field for fixed-rate lending protocols is becoming more dense as HiFi has joined the fray.
- Waitlist for Ethereum 2.0 Staking Rewards on Coinbase is Live
- Bitwise Launches Decentralized Finance Crypto Index Fund
- Beeple NFT to Be Auctioned by Christie’s: CoinDesk
- Uniswap Hits $100B in Trading Volume: Uniswap became the first decentralized trading platform to process over $100B in trading volume.
- Alpha Finance $37.5M Hack Recap: DeFi experienced one of its more complex exploits over the weekend. An attack which resulted in ~$37.5M drained from CREAM Finance’s Iron Bank using Alpha Homora’s leveraged debt.
- NFT Sales Boom Past $100M in 30 Days: There was over $100M in NFT sales over the last 30 days, according to Crypto Slam, which tracks the data, and a large part of the trading action is taking place on secondary markets.
- Love & coordination at the frontier of governance: How Yearn minted $300 million: CoinTelegraph
- Bitcoin Trust Launched Today Takes Aim At $37 Billion Grayscale: Forbes
- MicroStrategy To Offer Another $600 Million Of Convertible Notes To Buy More Bitcoin: Bitcoin Magazine
✊ Head to THEDEFIANT.IO for more DeFi news 📰
🧑💻 ✍️ Stories this week were written by Dan Kahan, Owen Fernau, Sydney Lai and Cooper Turley, and edited by Camila Russo. Videos were produced by Robin Schmidt and Alp Gasimov. Podcast was led by Camila and edited by Alp.
Thanking all the amazing Defiers for the support and love this week (and always)!
BLUE KIRBY @bluekirbyfi@bitfloorsghost @DefiantNews @QwQiao lowkey devour everything defiant and cut out the rest lol12:54 AM ∙ Feb 20, 20218Likes3Retweets
Darren Lau @Darrenlautf.@QwQiao on 🍣 "Sushi has gone up 10X, outperformed almost everything else in DeFi, and yet is still one of the most undervalued assets compared to the other DeFi assets"
6:46 PM ∙ Feb 20, 202144Likes12Retweets
Future Fund @FUTURE_FUND_@QwQiao with the $SUSHI alpha. Please have a listen. Once again amazing podcast. @CamiRusso https://t.co/L2PA1OjwqK
The Defiant @DefiantNews🔥 @QwQiao on the podcast this week: "We haven't seen anything yet. So hold your long-term bag (...) I'm 90% confident that we're going a lot higher." “We're still so early in the institutional adoption and in the nation’s adoption. We're nowhere near the top.” 🎧 Listen👇🏼12:38 AM ∙ Feb 20, 202120Likes6Retweets
Santiment @santimentfeed@CamiRusso @DefiantNews @The_True_DanK Great read! Our data also shows there’s been a pretty clear connection between mentions of #Elon on crypto social channels that we track (telegram, ct, reddit etc) vs price of $DOGE.
9:17 PM ∙ Feb 19, 20214Likes1Retweet
Jason La Finance🅡 🇫🇷 @Raez_xThis is a masterpiece. @DefiantNews on the $alpha $cream exploit.
youtube.comYou stole $37M, now what? The $CREAM $ALPHA exploit unpackedJoin Our Telegram:https://t.me/DefiantNewsLast weekend Alpha Finance was hacked to the tune of $37m but this was a hack so specific and well-informed it was ...1:53 PM ∙ Feb 19, 202114Likes3Retweets
Immunefi @immunefi📢 Huge initiative here. Major kudos to @RobertMCForster for putting up his own funds to secure DeFi. If you find a *critical* smart contract vuln in any Ethereum project, Robert will issue *you* a reward on top of any other rewards available. 👇👇👇 immunefi.com/bounty/rbounty/
The Defiant @DefiantNews🚨 @ArmorFi’s CTO Robert Forster is partnering w/ bug bounty platform @immunefi to personally offer the equivalent of $320k to anyone who can find a critical smart contract bug in any @ethereum ecosystem project. Read more on how to grab that 💰:2:29 AM ∙ Feb 19, 202141Likes9Retweets
BLUE KIRBY @bluekirbyfiWow... this is a huge move. When your CTO is putting $320k of his own tokens up as a bug bounty... in ANY ETHEREUM DEFI product... I think that says a lot about @ArmorFi and how they're positioning themselves in the space. Long $ARMOR !
The Defiant @DefiantNews🚨 @ArmorFi’s CTO Robert Forster is partnering w/ bug bounty platform @immunefi to personally offer the equivalent of $320k to anyone who can find a critical smart contract bug in any @ethereum ecosystem project. Read more on how to grab that 💰:4:18 AM ∙ Feb 19, 202148Likes8Retweets
PokerBrat2019 @pokerbrat2019@CamiRusso @DirSchmidt @DefiantNews Seriously, the quality of @DefiantNews and @DirSchmidt videos is by far the highest in this industry, by a significant margin. You guys are going to play a big role in the mainstream embrace of #DeFi if you keep it up.12:15 AM ∙ Feb 19, 2021
Kendrea Camacho ⟠ @kendreacamacho@peter_szilagyi Don’t be left out! Do yourself a favor and follow; @DefiantNews @DeFi_Dad @NexusMutual! Get news, educated and covered! You’ll be well on your way! Welcome8:22 PM ∙ Feb 18, 2021
R0SS @rossisbossofThis tweet looks like a meme about the future from a few months ago https://t.co/oJ7CsjNUlG
The Defiant @DefiantNews🎙️ In today's Defiant: 🧦 @Uniswap’s $SOCKS is now worth $85K 💰 @MakerDAO on track to generate $71M in fees ✂️ Dissecting meme-enomics of @dogecoin 🌚 @VesperFi- out of beta- $28M in TVL 🤝 @HifiFinance- latest fixed-rate DeFi lender 📈 @BitwiseInvest launches DeFi index 👇7:13 PM ∙ Feb 18, 202111Likes3Retweets
💰Crypto Tutorials @cryptoquireGreat interview about #nfts from @CamiRusso
The Defiant @DefiantNews🎙️Hello Defiers! In this week’s @DefiantNews podcast episode, we interviewed @MetaKovan, the pseudonymous investor who holds the largest known #NFT collection in his #Metapruse fund, which he leads with his (also pseudonymous) partner @twobadour. 🎧Listen now👇🏽12:29 AM ∙ Feb 16, 20219Likes1Retweet
Sébastien Derivaux @SebVenturesLast @MakerDAO article from @DefiantNews nails the opportunity of $MKR. As @hasufl said "$MKR holders are absolutely printing,”
thedefiant.ioMakerDAO is Piling on Fees as Dai Demand Booms - The Defiant - DeFi NewsMakerDAO is on track to generate ~$71M in annual stability fees as Dai demand booms, and MKR holders expect to reap the rewards.9:30 PM ∙ Feb 17, 202128Likes9Retweets
Wadé @wadepros@DefiantNews @Ledger Best newsletter + source in the game!3:46 PM ∙ Feb 17, 2021
Interaxis @Interaxis8Can't say enough how impressed I am with how far @CamiRusso has brought @DefiantNews. I subscribed when it first launched, and #DeFi was barely started. Now interviewing billionaires and bringing them to our world. Congrats!!
open.spotify.comMark Cuban: “ETH Has an Advantage Over BTC as a Store of Value”Listen to this episode from The Defiant on Spotify. In this week’s episode, we speak with Mark Cuban, Dallas Mavericks owner, billionaire investor and Shark Tank star. It’s been hard to pin down if Cuban is a crypto skeptic or believer. He has questioned the value of bitcoin and called its price su…2:28 PM ∙ Feb 15, 202123Likes2Retweets
Garth Travers @garthtraversGreat interview with @mcuban in @DefiantNews the other day on all things #Ethereum and #DeFi
5:50 AM ∙ Feb 15, 202130Likes4Retweets
The Defiant is a daily newsletter focusing on decentralized finance, a new financial system that’s being built on top of open blockchains. The space is evolving at breakneck speed and revolutionizing tech and money. Sign up to learn more and keep up on the latest, most interesting developments. Subscribers get full access, while free signups get only part of the content. Click here to pay with DAI (for $100/yr) or sub with fiat by clicking on the button above ($10/mo, $100/yr).